Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Follow Up Post

A while back I made a post regarding my feelings towards ventiloquism. Anyway I felt this comment was worthy of rebutal in it's own topic. The following was sent in by Mean John Dean-- it's probably just John Dean and the "Mean" is a sort of a nickname-- and I'm not sure that it fits, to be honest I doubt he is all that mean. Anyway John writes:


Ventriloquism is an art form that is part of the art form of puppetry, as are hand puppets like the Muppets. Why would you differentiate between any of them in negative pros? All take a certain amount of talent, manipulation being the tie that binds them but ventriloquism requires the performer to make it appear, though manipulation, ventriloquism and misdirection that the figure stands alone while before the eyes of the audience. This by far the more difficult form, what people find creepy about ventriloquist figures, we don’t call them dummies, is the large eyes and wide mouths but these were necessary when it was performed on stage and has become a tradition. Many vents are now using soft figures that have a less shocking appearance. I guess what I am asking is that you don’t indulge in vent bashing without making an attempt to learn the amount of discipline and talent that is required to make such a performance. Then remember even if your technically proficient you either have to be funny or have some other talent to showcase as well.

Mean John Dean
President
Florida Ventriloquist Association



Thanks for the comment John. I'm not denying the talent involved in ventriloquism. It certainly is a talent-- I'm just saying that that talent is creepy. To me there is simply something unnatural about talking without moving your mouth. And while I know the reason for the large eyes and wide mouths on the "figures"-- it is still creepy. And because I don't like it-- I will speak negatively about it. And I would fully expect you as President of the Florida Ventriloquist Association to defend it. Which you did-- speaking up for those would can't speak for themselves-- Get it! That's a little ventriloquist joke for you, you're welcome to use it if you'd like. But as a friendly gesture to you I'll lovingly include a link on my sidebar to your blog , which I deem "one of the creepiest blogs I've seen", that way I can direct interested traffic to you so you may possible convince otherwise.

Cheers,

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'll admit, the whole time I was reading your post I couldn't concentrate because I had a visual of ventriloquism in my head and a voice-over saying "CREEPY...CREEPY...CREEPY"

If Creepy was a town, a ventroliquist would be mayor.