Friday, September 12, 2008

The Anticipation is Killing Me

I've been told I'm a "movie snob"-- and that's absolutely not true. I just like good movies! I can enjoy any type of movie as long as it is done well and entertaining. The problem is there is so much crap out there. I often think (and sometimes I say it out loud) "who the hell would put money up for this film?". It kind of makes me hate rich people. But rich people are rich for a reason, right?!

In my mind there are only four reasons why someone would see a film like Beverly Hills Chihuahua:

1) You are a professional critic and you are forced to watch this film.
My heart goes out to you. Hang in there!

2) You or someone you know is in the film or worked on the film and you kind of feel like you have to watch it.
You don't have to! You can, but don't enjoy it out of obligation.

3) You absolutely love dogs, especially Chihuahuas-- and just to see them is all the enjoyment you need to be happy!
I just can not relate to you.

4) You think "it is just a silly movie" and you can just sit there and be entertained without having to think.
What?! That's ludicrous! You and people like you are the reason there are so many bad movies.

I have actually heard people say on numerous occasions, "I just want to be entertained, but I don't want to have to use my brain"-- wish granted, Norbit is now out on Blu-Ray. The real problem with this statement is that it is in itself a contradiction. Entertainment is defined as something that engages interest in an agreeable or desirable manner-- 'interest' means you are using your brain. But this idea of being entertained without thinking is simply a ploy used to get people to see un-entertaining movies.

Humans are very much like water, we go with the flow-- following the path of least resistance. The idea of "entertainment" with "no effort" is inherently appealing and so we are manipulated by it-- like a "weight loss" without diet & exercise. It sounds wonderful "something for nothing" and so you buy that movie ticket, or DVD, and support this imaginary concept allowing the 'rich' to make money off your naivete. And the worst part about it is, you want to believe you're being entertained so you convince yourself you enjoy their crappy movies.

So why would someone with money invest in a a film like Martin Lawrence's College Road Trip? The answer: To keep you poor! See they're getting rich off the people who want to believe it is possible to be entertained without having to use their intellect. By making these awful, mundane, and pointless movies they can ensure that no one will ever truly be inspired, enlightened, or moved to action by their films. That their audiences will look for opportunities to "not think", and therefore never do or create anything, thus ensuring they never become rich.

That was more of a rant than I really wanted it to be. Regardless the originally intent of this post was to mention that I'm actually excited about some upcoming movies that will be in theaters in the next couple weeks.


BURN AFTER READING

Quirky and intriguing characters showcased by some great actors.
The Cohen brother's rarely miss.


RIGHTEOUS KILL


I felt for a long time that a DeNiro/Pacino pairing in a crime drama was overdue, so I'm excited to see what the final product looks like.

NICK AND NORAH'S INFINITE PLAYLIST

I'm still a little wary of this one. I'm afraid it maybe just be attempt at Juno 2. It's an unfair judgement based solely on Michael Cera's presence in the film. We'll see!!


BLINDNESS

Not expecting too much here but an interesting enough premise.


If you've seen any of these by all means post a review.

No comments: