Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ventriloquism vs. Puppetry

After re-reading my first post I've come to realize that I've unintentionally aligned myself with the terribly creepy world of ventriloquism. I am an actor who happened to like puppetry as a child. I have no intention of combining these two worlds. To clarify I do not, nor have I, nor will I ever of my own free will perform as a ventriloquist. I suppose the true intent of this post is to clarify the difference between ventriloquism and puppetry and my feelings towards them. I guess the only real difference is that the puppeteer is hidden during performance and a ventriloquist is a part of the show. I may go so far as to say that ventriloquism is the prima donna's puppetry. And while I have respect for both, if I'm perfectly honest I think there is something truly unnatural about ventriloquism. The best way I can think to decribe it is to compare it to the 40 year old woman, who still lives home, in her same childhood bedroom with stuffed animals and doll layed out across a pink laced bedspread. As I'm writing this; however I'm thinking that this could be a good movie. A love story between the ventriloquist and this 40 woman: they meet, fall in love-- like a creepier version of Benny and Joon. Or I guess it could be suspense horror as the audience anxiously watches to see which one will chop the other one up into little bits and slowly feed them to the neighborhood cats.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ventriloquism is an art form that is part of the art form of puppetry, as are hand puppets like the Muppets. Why would you differentiate between any of them in negative pros? All take a certain amount of talent, manipulation being the tie that binds them but ventriloquism requires the performer to make it appear, though manipulation, ventriloquism and misdirection that the figure stands alone while before the eyes of the audience. This by far the more difficult form, what people find creepy about ventriloquist figures, we don’t call them dummies, is the large eyes and wide mouths but these were necessary when it was performed on stage and has become a tradition. Many vents are now using soft figures that have a less shocking appearance. I guess what I am asking is that you don’t indulge in vent bashing without making an attempt to learn the amount of discipline and talent that is required to make such a performance. Then remember even if your technically proficient you either have to be funny or have some other talent to showcase as well.

Mean John Dean
President
Florida Ventriloquist Association